Director of Finance and Operations
Seattle International Foundation
Location: Remote in the U.S. (Seattle, WA preferred)
Salary Range: $100,000 to $120,000
Supervisor: Executive Director
Start date: Open until filled
Seattle International Foundation (SIF) champions good governance and equity in Central America through support for rule of law and a robust civil society. We are guided by a vision of a just, peaceful, and prosperous Central America. SIF’s approach in achieving our mission includes convening key stakeholders committed to the region, grantmaking, advocacy, leadership and skills development, and research. Current program initiatives in the region include the Central America Donors Forum, the Central American and Mexico Youth Fund, the Anti-Impunity Fund, Central America in DC, and the Independent Journalism Fund.
SIF has staff based in the United States, Mexico and Central America, and was established as a supporting organization to Seattle Foundation. To learn more about the Seattle International Foundation, visit www.seaif.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
SIF is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations. This position leads the organization’s financial and administrative functions. S/he partners closely with SIF’s Executive Director, and team in the United States, Mexico, and Central America to ensure that financial and operational systems and procedures are well designed and implemented. Additionally, s/he serves as the organization’s key liaison with staff from the Seattle Foundation who work with SIF as a supporting organization. As a Director, s/he is a member of SIF’s leadership team.
The ideal candidate has experience managing finance, accounting, and operational and personnel functions at a grantmaking or NGO organization. S/he will provide strategic leadership around the financial and operational aspects of SIF’s mission and impact as well as management for the day-to-day activities of the organization. S/he will work closely with the Executive Director, the Leadership Team and program leads to advance the goals and mission of the organization.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise Finance & Operations team including Senior Finance and Operations Manager (Mexico), Finance & Operations Coordinator (Mexico Finance and Operations Assistant (Mexico), and Grants Manager (Seattle)
- Lead annual budgeting process and share with board for approval, in collaboration with Executive Director
- Collaborate with Executive Director on strategic finance issues and sustainability
- Prepare and share timely and accurate financial and operational reports and analysis with executive leadership and board
- With team, manage AP and AR functions ensuring accurate coding in SIF and Seattle Foundation systems, as well as signature authorities
- With team, ensure accuracy of financial, donor, and grant records by conducting regular reconciliation between systems
- Manage accounting and appropriate financial oversight of SIF initiatives, including preparing and submitting initiative level financial reports for board and donors
- Lead effort to develop or maintain fiscal systems to ensure accurate donor budget tracking and reporting
- Serve as fiscal lead on SIF program budgets and oversee CAMY team’s fiscal work
- As needed, lead the development and documentation of new financial policies and procedures
- Ensure staff and contractors understand and adhere to SIF financial policies and procedures
- Develop organizational policies and procedures as needed
- Develop and monitor contracts for both domestic and international consultants and vendors, engaging external legal counsel as needed
- Develop and/or review donor and grant agreements for new and ongoing relationships, engaging external legal counsel as needed
- Lead efforts to improve effectiveness and efficiency of key systems for grantmaking, project tracking, and others, as needed
- With Executive Director, and support of Senior Finance Manager, oversee key human resources functions, including staff onboarding, training, job classifications, compensation, and professional development
- Oversee staff who manage and administer grants whose work includes oversight of the grant life cycle process from request to close; grantee reporting; compliance with IRS regulations; and necessary due diligence
- Act as SIF’s liaison with The Seattle Foundation for operational, human resource, and financial issues
- Supervise IT contract vendor and other operational vendors
- Serve as member of leadership team of directors
- Perform other related duties as requested.
- 5 years increasing fiscal and operations management expertise in a US nonprofit setting
- Acumen for finance and accounting, including a strong understanding of non-profit accounting
- Understanding of US human resources law
- Experience developing institutional infrastructure including policies, procedures, and business tools
- Familiarity with different sources of funding including private foundations, US government grants, and private individuals, among others. Comfort with large data sets
- Ability to collaborate across teams and levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with QuickBooks or similar accounting software
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office products
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish
- Strong commitment to human rights and rule of law; experience or interest in Central America and/or Mexico a plus.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and/or international organizational context
- Multi-site or entity level management experience
- Graduate degree in a relevant field
- Ability to occasionally travel, domestically and internationally.
- Able to work a flexible schedule that occasionally involves work on weekends and holidays.
Remote in the U.S. (Seattle, WA preferred).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary of $100,000-$120,000, dependent on years of previous experience; a strong benefits package, and vacation/sick leave. The office is closed between Christmas and New Year’s.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a resume and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name and the title of this position in the subject line of your email (i.e. “Jane Doe – Director of Development”). Review of applications will begin on August 14 and remain open until the position is filled.
Candidates whose applications do not complete the aforementioned requirements will not be considered.
As an equal opportunity employer, SIF is committed to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment. SIF does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, creed, gender, gender identity, religion, marital status, veteran’s status, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.