A total of 762 philanthropic organizations have heeded the call of the Council on Foundations to collectively respond to the global health and economic crisis caused by COVID-19.
The rapid spread of COVID-19 has created a global health and economic crisis that is testing every one of us. We recognize that the shocks of this “new normal” are severe and unanticipated for the philanthropic sector and for our grantee partners.
As leaders in philanthropy, we recognize the critical need to act with fierce urgency to support our partners as well as the people and communities most affected by the impacts of COVID-19.
We invite funders and other leaders in the philanthropic sector to join us in making these commitments and collectively holding ourselves accountable to them by signing this pledge of action. Over the days, weeks, and months ahead, each pledge signatory commits to:
- Loosen or eliminate the restrictions on current grants. This can include: converting project-based grants to unrestricted support; accelerating payment schedules; and not holding grantees responsible if conferences, events, and other project deliverables must be postponed or canceled.
- Make new grants as unrestricted as possible, so nonprofit partners have maximum flexibility to respond to this crisis. We will also support organizations created and led by the communities most affected that we may not fund currently.
- Reduce what we ask of our nonprofit partners, postponing reporting requirements, site visits, and other demands on their time during this challenging period.
- Contribute to community-based emergency response funds and other efforts to address the health and economic impact on those most affected by this pandemic.
- Communicate proactively and regularly about our decision-making and response to provide helpful information while not asking more of grantee partners.
- Commit to listening to our partners and especially to those communities least heard, lifting up their voices and experiences to inform public discourse and our own decision-making so we can act on their feedback. We recognize that the best solutions to the manifold crises caused by COVID-19 are not found within foundations.
- Support, as appropriate, grantee partners advocating for important public policy changes to fight the pandemic and deliver an equitable and just emergency response for all. This may include its economic impact on workers, such as expanded paid sick leave; increasing civic participation; access to affordable health care; and expanded income and rental assistance. It should also include lending our voices to calls to action led by grantee partners, at their direction and request.
- Learn from these emergency practices and share what they teach us about effective partnership and philanthropic support, so we may consider adjusting our practices more fundamentally in the future, in more stable times, based on all we learn.
We commit to this pledge and encourage other foundations and philanthropic organizations to join us in answering the call by signing the pledge and honoring the commitments.
COVID-19’s impacts are reaching every corner of the world. We must come together. By acting together to provide flexibility to our grantee partners, we believe we can help them move their essential work forward powerfully and confidently in this critical moment.
Sign the pledge and get to know the 762 signatories you’ve joined in addressing the impacts of COVID-19.
About Seattle International Foundation
Seattle International Foundation (SIF) champions good governance and equity in Central America through support for rule of law and the strengthening of civil society. Over the past ten years, SIF has supported 243 organizations in 81 countries and has contributed to the growth of 650 high-impact social change leaders. In addition to its grants portfolio, SIF implements key initiatives in the region, including the Central America Donors Forum (CADF), the Central America and Mexico Youth Fund (CAMY Fund), Centroamérica Adelante (CAA) and the Independent Journalism Fund (IJF).
About the Council on Foundations
The Council on Foundations fosters an environment where philanthropy can thrive and cultivates a community of diverse and skilled philanthropic professionals and organizations who lead with integrity, serve as ethical stewards and advocate for progress.